The 2012 Annual conference of Research Committee 19 on Poverty, Social Policy and Social Welfare took place in, Oslo, Norway, 23-25 August. Under the title Welfare States Facing Global Turbulence, Ageing and Migration scholars from the whole world met to discuss papers and perspectives.
I had the pleasure of organising a thematic plenary session on“The Nordic model and globalisation” with:
- Torben M. Andersen (Aarhus University, Denmark): “Collective risk sharing: The social safety net and employment”
- Jon Erik Dølvik (Fafo, Norway), Jørgen Goul Andersen (Aalborg University, Denmark) and Juhana Vartiainen: ”The Nordic models in turbulent times. Developments in social and labour market governance since the crisis in the 1990s”
- Anne Skevik Grødem (Fafo, Norway): “Migration as a challenge to the Nordic welfare model.
- Jon Kvist (University of Southern Denmark): “Retrenchment or social investments? The Great Recession, the European Union and Policies of Austerity in Europe”
- Joakim Palme (University of Uppsala, Sweden): “The Swedish welfare model and globalization”
Good comments and critical questions by appointed discussants Noel Whiteside, Jolanta Aidukaite, Emmanuelle Pavolini and Sven Steinmo were followed by a good and lively discussion with the audience.